Area: Information Systems
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B4215
- Alternate Website: https://sites.google.com/view/manoj-thomas
- Knowledge Management, Semantic technologies, Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies for Developing Countries (ICT4D)
Dr. Manoj A. Thomas conducts research in emerging technologies, data science areas related to knowledge management, ontologies, machine learning, and expert systems, as well as Information and Communication Technologies for developing countries (ICT4D). He has been involved in ICT research in Brazil, Botswana, Haiti, India, Nepal, Portugal, and the United States. His research has been published and presented internationally. He rides and works on motorcycles when he wants to get away from the digital realm.
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Mohammed Elnagar, S., Weistroffer, H. R., Thomas, M. (2019). Agile Requirement Engineering Maturity Framework for Industry 4.0. In Themistocleous M., Rupino da Cunha P. (eds) Information Systems. EMCIS 2018. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing (vol. 341, pp.405-418). Cham: Springer Nature. DOI: doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11395-7_31
- Thomas, M., Oliveira, T., Li, Y. (2017). Nuances of Development Contexts for ICT4D Research in Least Developed Countries: An Empirical Investigation in Haiti. (7 ed., vol. 34, pp.1093-1112). Telematics and Informatics. DOI: 10.1016/j.tele.2017.05.001
- Flory, L., Osei-Bryson, K. A., Thomas, M. (2017). A New Web Personalization Decision-Support Artifact for Utility-Sensitive Customer Review Analysis. (vol. 94, pp.85-96). Decision Support Systems.
- Li, Y., Thomas, M., Osei-Bryson, K. A. (2016). A Snail Shell Process Model for Knowledge Discovery via Data Analytics. (vol. 91, pp.1-12). Decision Support Systems.
- Li, Y., Thomas, M., Osei-Bryson, K. A. (2016). Ontology-based Data Mining Model Management for Self-Service Knowledge Discovery. (vol. 19, pp.925–943). Information Systems Frontiers.
- Thomas, M., Costa, D., Oliveira, T. (2016). Assessing the role of IT-enabled process virtualization on green IT adoption. (pp.1–18). Information Systems Frontiers.
- Thomas, M., Narayan, P. (2016). The Role of Participatory Communication in Tracking Unreported Reproductive Tract Issues in Marginalized Communities. (pp.1–17). Information Technology for Development.
- Thomas, M., Alalwan, J. (2016). Designing a Semantic Tool to Evaluate Web Content of Government Websites. (2 ed., vol. 3, pp.19-36). International Journal of Public Administration in the Digital Age (IJPADA).
- Martins, R., Oliveira, T., Thomas, M. (2015). Assessing Organizational Adoption of Information Systems Outsourcing. (4 ed., vol. 25, pp.360–378). Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce.
- Alalwan, J., Thomas, M., Weistroffer, H. R. (2014). Decision support capabilities of enterprise content management systems: An empirical investigation. (vol. 68, pp.39-48). Decision Support Systems. DOI: 10.1016/j.dss.2014.09.002
Community Engagement - Scholarship
- Continuing Medical Education on Stick (CMES). (January, 2016 - Present).
Developed solution for the delivery of free, quality Continuing Medical Education (CME) content for medical practitioners in the high mountain rural areas and earthquake zones of Nepal. The project has received funding from Microsoft Corp.
- United States: Addressing food desert challenges in Richmond, Virginia. (2013 - Present).
Lead VCU student team to examine challenges that limit access to healthy food options, employment, healthcare, and vocational training in the “desert areas” of Richmond, Virginia. Since 2013, the project has engaged over 65 students, who have cumulatively committed more than 25,000 hours of community engagement service. The project received $50,000 funding from the Ford Motor company.
- Haiti: Information and Communication Technologies for Education (ICT4E). (2011 - Present).
Developed a methodological approach to improve technology access, computer familiarity, and information literacy among students, young Haitians, and teachers. Currently developing a finger print based solution for immunization record management among primary school children.
- India: ICT for monitoring health in marginalized communities. (2011 - Present).
Developed a cell phone based solution for tracking and reporting of reproductive tract infections (RTI) among women living in marginalized communities (coastal fishermen communities, refugees from Myanmar, female sex workers). The project has received the backing of the Burmese Women of Delhi (BWD) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UN-HCR). The project is ongoing.
- Botswana: Support for EDC software in AIDS research. (January, 2014 - January, 2015).
Participated in the testing and development of the electronic data collection (EDC) software for the Botswana Combination Prevention Project (BCPP). The project targets prevention and reduction in HIV/AIDS epidemic in Botswana, and was funded by the United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Institute of Health (NIH), Botswana Ministry of Health, and the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).
- Brazil: ICT for ecological development in Atlantic rainforest. (January, 2012 - January, 2013).
Implemented a multi-location network infrastructure at the Iracambi Research Center, Minas Gerais, Brazil for managing natural resources, developing sustainable communities, and conducting research on rainforest ecosystems. The research center is located in a protected area in one of the world’s top biodiversity location in Brazil’s Atlantic rainforest. The project was funded by the United States Farmer-to- Farmer project and the USAID.