Robert L. Hintz Professor of Accounting
Ph.D. Program Advisor
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B3115
- PhD, Purdue Univesity, 1999.
- MBA, Syracuse University, 1990.
- Financial Accounting (Advanced Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II & III), and Doctoral seminar in Financial Accounting & Capital Market.
- Capital market research, Earnings management, Management earnings forecasts, Auditor change, Corporate social responsibility, Fair value accounting, and other topics in Financial, Managerial Accounting, and Auditing.
Dr. Park joined VCU School of Business in the Fall of 2004 and teaches accounting at the undergraduate and graduate levels including Ph.D. class in Accounting. Dr. Park was named to Robert L. Hintz Professor of Accounting. This endowed professorship is the highest honor for a faculty at the university as a recognition of excellence in research, teaching, and service. Dr. Park is the recipient of the VCU School of Business 2017 Faculty Award of Excellence. This award recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated exemplary achievements in teaching, research and service. He also received 2008 Distinguished Scholar Award and 2012 Distinguished Scholar Award. In addition, Dr. Park is the recipient of 2011 VCU Presidential Research Incentive Program (PRIP) Award. Dr. Park is currently serving as the Ph.D. program advisor in Accounting. His research has appeared in such journals as The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Review of Accounting Studies, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Accounting Horizons, Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, and others. In continuing his professional participation in research, Dr. Park is currently serving as an Associate Editor of Advances in Accounting. He also serves as an ad hoc reviewer for several journals, such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Accounting Horizons, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Advances in Accounting, etc.
- American Accounting Association. (January 1, 2004 - December 31, 2019).
Awards and Honors
- Best Paper Award, AAA Midwest Meeting. (October, 2018).
- 2017 Faculty Award of Excellence, VCU, School of Business. (April, 2017).
- 2011 VCU Presidential Research Incentive Program (PRIP)Award.Project Title: "Do auditor-client disagreements signal unfavorable developments following auditor switches?" .. (June, 2012).
- 2012 Distinguished Research Award (April 2012), VCU. (April, 2012).
- Named to Robert L. Hintz Professor of Accounting. (December 1, 2011).
- 2008 Distinguished Scholar Award, School of Business. (April, 2008).
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Park, M., Lee, J., Glasscock, R., (2017). Does the ability of operating cash flows to measure firm performance improve relative to earnings during the financial crisis?. (vol. 31, pp.23-35). Accounting Horizons.
- Park, M., Gan, G., (2016). Are more talented CEOs getting more compensated? Evidence from equity-based Incentives . (vol. 34, pp.64-76). Advances in Accounting.
- Park, M. S., El-Mahdy, D. (2014). Internal Control Quality and Information Asymmetry in the Secondary Loan Market. (vol. 43, pp.683-720). Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting.
- Park, M. S., Forst, A., Wier, B., (2014). Insider Entrenchment and CEO Compensation: Evidence from Initial Public Offering Firms. (1 ed., vol. 26, pp.101-120). Journal of Management Accounting Research.
- Park, M. S., Kim, Y. (2014). Real Activities Manipulation and Auditors Client Retention Decisions. (vol. 89, pp.367). The Accounting Review.
- Park, M. S., Lee, C. (2013). Subjectivity in fair value estimates, audit quality and informativeness of other comprehensive income. (vol. 29, pp.218-231). Advances in Accounting.
- Park, M. S., Kim, Y. (2012). Are all management earnings forecasts created equal? Expectations management versus Communication. (vol. 17, pp.807-847). Review of Accounting Studies.
- Park, M., Kim, Y., Wier, B., (2012). Is earnings quality associated with corporate social responsibility?. (vol. 87, pp.761-796). The Accounting Review.
- Park, M. (2009). Market Uncertainty and Disclosure of Internal Control Deficiencies under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. (4 ed., vol. 28, pp.885-908). Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
- Park, M., Kim, Y., Lacina, M. (2008). Positive and Negative Information Transfers From Management Forecasts. (vol. 46, pp.885-908). Journal of Accounting Research.
- Park, M., Kim, Y., Jo, H. (2007). Underwriter Choice and Earnings Management: Evidence from seasoned equity offerings. (vol. 12, pp.23-59). Review of Accounting Studies.
- Park, M. (2006). Auditor Changes and the Pricing of Seasoned Equity Offers. (4 ed., vol. 20, pp.333-349). Accounting Horizons .
- Park, M., Kim, Y. (2005). Pricing of Seasoned Equity Offers and Earnings Management. (vol. 40, pp.435-463). Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,.
- Park, M. (2004). Insider Sales and Earnings Management. (vol. 23, pp.381-411). Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
- Park, M. (2004). The Effect of Firm-Industry Earnings Correlation and Announcement Timing on Firm's Accrual Decisions. (vol. 36, pp.269-289). The British Accounting Review .
- Park, M. (2003). Integration and Composition of Web Service-Based Business Processes. (pp.82-92). The Journal of Computer Information Systems.
- Park, M. (1999). Fair Value Disclosures for Investment Securities and Bank Equity: Evidence from SFAS No.115. (vol. 14, pp.347-370). Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance.
- Editor, Associate Editor, Advances in Accounting. (January, 2016Present).).