Area: Management and Entrepreneurship
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: 4213
- Entrepreneurship Creativity Strategic Management
- Entrepreneurship Corporate Governance
Joseph E. Coombs is an Associate Professor of Management and Academic Director for Entrepreneurship Programs in the School of Business at Virginia Commonwealth University where he teaches courses in entrepreneurship and strategic management. He received his PhD from Temple University. He has held faculty positions at Rutgers University, James Madison University, the University of Richmond, and Texas A&M University. His research has been published in premier academic journals including the Academy of Management Journal, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Business Venturing, Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, and Strategic Management Journal.
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Scheaf, D. J., Davis, B. C., Webb, J. W., Coombs, J. E., E, G., M, J. (in press). Signals' Flexibility and Interaction with Visual Cues: Insights from Crowdfunding . Journal of Business Venturing / Elsevier Inc. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2018.04.007
- Saitgalina, M., Bennett, A., Reina, C. S., Coombs, J. E. (in press). Serving Others at the Expense of Self: The Relationship Between Relative CEO Compensation and Nonprofit Performance. Journal of Public and Nonprofit Affairs.
- Rutherford, M., O'Boyle, E., Miao, C., Goering, D., Coombs, J. (2017). Do response rates matter in entrepreneurship research?. (vol. 8, pp.93-98). Journal of Business Venturing Insights.
- Miao, C., Coombs, J. E., Qian, S., Sirmon, D. (2017). The mediating role of entrepreneurial orientation: A meta-analysis of resource orchestration and cultural contingencies. (vol. 77, pp.68-80). Journal of Business Research.
- Davis, B. C., Hmieleski, K. M., Webb, J. W., Coombs, J. E. (2017). Funder's Positive Affective Reactions to Entrepreneurs' Crowdfunding Pitches: The Influence of Perceived Product Creativity and Perceived Entrepreneurial Passion. (1 ed., vol. 32, pp.90-106). Journal of Business Venturing / Elsevier Inc. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2016.10.006
- Saparito, P., Coombs, J. E. (2013). Bureaucratic systems' facilitating and hindering influence on social capital. (vol. 27, pp.625-639). Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice.
- Coombs, J. E., Bierly, P., Gallagher, S. (2012). The impact of different forms of IPO firm legitimacy on the choice of alliance governance structure. (vol. 18, pp.516-536). Journal of Management & Organization.
- Harrison, J., Coombs, J. E. (2012). The moderating effects from corporate governance characteristics on the relationship between available slack and community-based firm performance. (vol. 107, pp.409-422). Journal of Business Ethics.