Business Essentials Unit Director
Area: Business Essentials
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B2153
- PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2019.
- Master of Education, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2014.
- Recent research supporting Dr. Jackson's interest areas focuses on what influences and inspires undergraduates to pursue a STEM degree and career, and how the development of a STEM identity supports students in achieving their goals. Upcoming research will also hone in on the potential impact of real-world experiential learning opportunities in AI in an effort to increase access, interest, and a sense of belonging in emerging technology career pathways for students from diverse backgrounds. Dr. Jackson has published work focused on the evolution of Human Resource Development (HRD) and disciplinary identity; building, adapting, and validating a survey instrument, as well as learnings from management consultants as they guide organizations through constant change. Dr. Jackson has presented her work at the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, the Academy of Human Resource Development, the Association of American Colleges and Universities, as well as the Louis Stokes Midwest Regional Center of Excellence (LSMRCE) conferences.
Dr. Holly Jackson has worked as a practitioner within the Human Resource Development field for over fifteen years. After spending 10+ years of her career with an international healthcare organization, Dr. Jackson then broadened her scope through consulting services in training, instructional design, and facilitation in the virtual environment for a variety of domestic and international organizations. Now primarily focused on the academic side of the field, Dr. Jackson's interests and efforts continue to work to advance scholarship and practice in Human Resource Development and Business fields. Dr. Jackson also leans in on the inclusion of voices from disadvantaged groups, and how to build underrepresented voices into the components of theory and practice.
- American Management Association. (March, 2022 - Present).
- Academy of Human Resource Development. (December, 2017 - Present).
- American Association for Adult and Continuing Education. (July, 2017 - Present).
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Jackson, H. D., Hurst, R. (2023). Organizations in a VUCA World: Pivot or Perish. Learnings from Management Consultants in the Digital Age.. In Management Consulting in the Era of the Digital Organization: A Volume in the Research in Management Consulting Series (pp.159-174). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Cabler, K., Hargraves, R., Jackson, H. D. (2022). Exploring the impact of diversity training on the development and application of cultural competence skills in higher education professionals.. (2 ed., vol. 33, pp.129-I 164). Metropolitan Universities: Anti-Racism, Equity and Inclusion at Urban Institutions.. DOI: 10.18060/25334
- Hargraves, R., Morgan, K., Jackson, H. D., Kelly, F., Crenshaw, J., McDonald, K., Martin, M. (2021). What’s Your STEMspiration?: Adaptation and validation of a survey instrument. . In New Developments in Pathways Towards Diversity and Inclusion in STEM: A United States Perspective (vol. 6, pp.14). Frontiers in Education. DOI: 10.3389/feduc.2021.667616
- Jackson, H. D. (2019). Revealing the Human Resource Development Discourse: A Mixed Methods Study of Similarities and Differences in Academic and Practitioner Language, or Labels-In-Use. (pp.297). VCU Scholars Compass. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25772/HW2J-2W07
Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Jackson, H. D. (Co-Principal), Morgan, K. (Co-Principal), “What’s Your STEMspiration?” Social Science Research Study, Sponsored by National Science Foundation Federal 5000000. (August 1, 2017 - July, 2023).