Associate Professor of Marketing
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B3163
- Consumer Wellbeing
- Low Literate Consumers
- Consumer Text Processing
- International Marketing, Marketing Research, Services Marketing
- Low-Literate Consumers, Text Processing, Consumer Well-Being
Haeran Jae Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Marketing in the VCU School of Business. She is a native of South Korea and an alumna of the University of Kentucky and Florida Gulf Coast University as well as Pusan National University. She worked for Delta Airlines for several years. Dr. Jae's research interests include consumer well-being, text processing, low-literate consumers, and consumer responses to product design. Dr. Jae has taught promotion management, marketing research, international marketing, and services marketing at the undergraduate level and international marketing and service quality management at the graduate level.
Published Intellectual Contributions
- DelVecchio, D. S., Jae, H., Ferguson, J. L. (2019). Consumer Aliteracy. (2 ed., vol. 36, pp.89-101). Psychology & Marketing.
- Jae, H. (2018). The Effectiveness of Closed Caption Videos in Classrooms:Objective versus Subjective Assessments. (vol. 22, pp.1-8). Journal of Instructional Pedagogies.
- Candi, M., Jae, H., Makarem, S. C., Mohan, M. (2017). Consumer Response to Functional, Aesthetic and Symbolic Product Design Expressed in Online Reviews. (vol. 81, pp.31-39). Journal of Business Research.
- Makarem, S. C., Jae, H. (2016). Consumer Boycott Behavior: An Exploratory Analysis of Twitter Feeds. (1 ed., vol. 50, pp.193-223). Journal of Consumer Affairs.
- Jae, H. (2014). Developing Promotional Materials for Adult Literacy Programs. (vol. 3, pp.50-55). Journal of Research and Practice in Adult Literacy, Secondary, and Basic Education.
- Franzak, F. J., Makarem, S. C., Jae, H. (2014). Design Benefits, Emotional Responses, and Brand Engagement. (1 ed., vol. 23, pp.16-23). Journal of Product & Brand Management.
- Jae, H., Franzak, F. J. (2013). The Effects of Education and Incongruent Images on Product Warnings. (vol. 2, pp.22-35). Journal of Business & Management.
- Jae, H., Viswanathan, M. (2012). Effects of pictorial warnings on low-literate consumers. (vol. 65, pp.1674-1681). Journal of Business Research.
- Roland, G., Jae, H., Viswanathan, M. (2012). Experimental research on low-literate consumers: Implications for subsistence marketplace. (vol. 65, pp.1683-1691). Journal of Business Research.
- Jae, H., DelVecchio, D., Childers, T. (2011). Are low-literate and high-literate consumers different? Applying resource matching theory to ad processing cross literacy levels?. (vol. 21, pp.312-323). Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- Jae, H. (2011). Cognitive Load and Syntactic Complexity of Printed Advertisements: Effects on Consumer Attitudes. (vol. 21 (1), pp.152-159). The Marketing Management Journal.
- Jae, H. (2010). Syntax Complexity and Presentation Order as Determinants of Comprehension in Print Advertisements. (vol. 16, pp.522-532). Journal of Promotion Management.
- Adkins, N., Jae, H. (2010). Marketplace Vulnerability of Limited English Proficient Consumers: Opportunities to Increase Knowledge in Macromarketing. (vol. 30, pp.93-104). Journal of Macromarketing.
- Jae, H., Cowling, J. F. (2009). Objectivity in Grading: The Promise of Bar Codes. (vol. 57, pp.51-55). College Teaching.
- Jae, H. (2009). Linguistically Isolated Consumers: Historical Trends and Vulnerability in the U.S. Marketplace. (vol. 19, pp.72-83). Marketing Management Journal.
- Jae, H., DelVecchio, D. S., Cowles, D. (2008). Picture-Text Incongruency in Print Advertisements among Low-and High- Literacy Consumers. (vol. 42, pp.439-451). Journal of Consumer Affairs.
- Jae, H., Cowling, J. F. (2008). The Use of Bar Code Technology in Grading to Improve Student Anonymity and Reduce Identity-Based Bias. (vol. 18, pp.65-70). Marketing Education Review.
- Jae, H., Seevers, M. T., Gassenheimer, J. (2007). Underground Economy and Marketing Exchange: A Macro Perspective. (vol. 17, pp.1-15). Marketing Management Journal.
- Jae, H., DelVecchio, D. S. (2004). Decision-Making by Low-Literacy Consumers in the Presence of Point-of-Purchase Information. (vol. 38, pp.342-354). Journal of Consumer Affairs.