Area: Management and Entrepreneurship
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B4153
- Leadership, Organizational Behavior, Negotiations
- Leadership, Mindfulness, Affect and Emotions, Well-being, Research Methods and Statistics
Christopher Reina is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Management at Virginia Commonwealth University. His research focuses on the intersection of leadership, mindfulness, and emotions in the workplace and how they aid employees and organizations in successfully adapting to change in order to facilitate employee engagement and organization performance and well-being. Christopher is especially interested in understanding the impact of leadership on followers and how this translates to customer/patient outcomes. Christopher received his Ph.D. in Business Administration (Management) from the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University and has corporate experience in leadership training and development as well as sales and marketing in the healthcare industry. He consults and teaches seminars on mindful leadership, negotiation strategies, and managing the emotional space within organizations.
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society. (2017 - Present).
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. (2012 - Present).
- Academy of Management. (2011 - Present).
- Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society. (2007 - Present).
Awards and Honors
- VCU School of Business. (February, 2019).
- LEADERSHIP, 1 course.
- Leading People and Organizations, 1 course.
- ORG LEADERSHP & PROJ TEAM MGMT, 1 course.
- ORGANIZING SYSTEMS, 1 course.
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Reina, C. S. (2017). Mindfulness: A Tool for Thoughtful Politics. In Fitzduff M. (Ed.), Why Irrational Politics Appeals. Praeger.
- Reina, C. S., Peterson, S. J., Waldman, D. A. (2016). Neuroscience as a Basis for Understanding Emotions and Affect in Organizations. In Organizational Neuroscience (1 ed., pp.213-232). Bingley, BD16 1W: Emerald Group.
- Peterson, S. J., Reina, C. S., Waldman, D. A., Becker, W. J. (2015). Using Physiological Methods to Study Emotions in Organizations. In Research on Emotion in Organizations: New Ways of Studying Emotions in Organizations (vol. 11, pp.3-27). Bingley, BD16 1W: Emerald Group.
- Kudesia, R., Reina, C. S. (2019). Does interacting with trusted others increase mindfulness? An experience sampling study of everyday social interactions. PLOS ONE.
- Bartels, A., Peterson, S., Reina, C. S. (2019). Understanding Well-Being at Work: Development and Validation of the Eudaimonic Workplace Well-Being Scale. PLOS ONE.
- Saitgalina, M., Bennett, A., Reina, C. S., Coombs, J. E. (2018). Serving Others at the Expense of Self: The Relationship Between Relative CEO Compensation and Nonprofit Performance. (vol. 4, pp.156-180). Journal of Public and Nonprofit Affairs.
- Cosans, C., Reina, C. S. (2017). The Leadership Ethics of Machiavelli’s Prince. Business Ethics Quarterly. DOI: doi.org/10.1017/beq.2017.13
- Reina, C. S., Rogers, K., Peterson, S. J., Byron, K., Hom, P. (2017). Quitting the Boss? The Role of Manager Influence Tactics and Employee Emotional Engagement in Voluntary Turnover. (1 ed., vol. 25, pp.5-18). Journal of Leadership and Organization Studies. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1548051817709007
- Reina, C. S., Peterson, S. J., Zhang, Z. (2017). Adverse Effects of CEO Family-to-Work Conflict on Firm Performance. (2 ed., vol. 28, pp.228-243). Organization Science. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2017.1114
- Reina, C. S., Zhang, Z., Peterson, S. J. (2014). CEO grandiose narcissism and firm performance: The role of organizational identification. (5 ed., vol. 25, pp.958-971). The Leadership Quarterly. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2014.06.004
- Riggio, R. E., Zhu, W. W., Reina, C. S., Maroosis, J. A. (2010). Virtue-based measurement of ethical leadership: The Leadership Virtues Questionnaire. . (4 ed., vol. 62, pp.235). Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0022286
- Reina, C. S. (Panelist), Fritz, C. (Panelist), Glomb, T. (Panelist), Randall, J. (Coordinator/Organizer), Zajac, S. (Coordinator/Organizer), Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Mindfulness at Work: Challenges and Opportunities Chicago, IL. (April, 2018).
- Reina, C. S., International Association of Management, Spirituality, and Religion Annual Conference, Meditation and Mindfulness in Teaching Leadership Fayeville, AR. (2017).
- Ahvlik, C. (Author), Lyddy, C. (Author), Reina, C. S. (Author), Mindfulness Training to Enhance Leaders’ Interpersonal Relationships: A Randomized Field Study. , Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA. (2017).
- Mills, M., Reina, C. S., Academy of Management, New Perspectives on the Intersection of Employee Affect and Social Interactions. Atlanta, GA. (2017).
- Reina, C. S., International Association of Management, Spirituality, and Religion Annual Conference , Using Mindfulness and Meditation to Open Minds and Hearts: An Experiential Personal Development Workshop Fayetville, AR. (2017).
- Reina, C. S. (Author), Keener, S. (Author & Presenter), Bartels, A. (Author), Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2016, Understanding the Relationship Between Leader Mindfulness and Effectiveness: The Dual Roles of Self and Other Awareness Anaheim, CA. (August, 2016).
- Coombs, J. E. (Author & Presenter), Davis, B. C. (Author & Presenter), Reina, C. S. (Author), Webb, J. W. (Author), Christopher, P. G. (Author), Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, The mindful funder: The role of mindfulness, empathy, and perception in predicting crowdfunding, Babson College, Bodo, Norway. (June, 2016).
- Reina, C. S. (Author & Presenter), Peterson, S. J. (Author), Kinicki, A. (Author), Zhang, Z. (Author), Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2015, Adapting Leader Behaviors to Achieve Follower Effectiveness: A Mindful Approach to Situational Leadership Vancouver, Canada. (August 11, 2015).
- NBC29.VCU Study Shows Management Style Impact on Workers. http://www.nbc29.com/story/35593313/vcu-study-shows-management-style-impact-on-workers. (June, 2017).
- With Good Reason NPR Interview.Mindful Managers. http://www.withgoodreasonradio.org/episode/the-golden-age-of-flattery/?t=00:12:47. (March, 2018).
- Richmond Times Dispatch.Interviewed for article "Balancing work with, well, the rest of life" http://bit.ly/1Qmli3R. (September 8, 2015).
- VCU News.How to Survive the Open Office https://www.news.vcu.edu/article/How_to_survive_the_open_office. (October 8, 2018).
Community Engagement - Service
- Massey Alliance Board Member. (August, 2017 - Present).
- Presbyterian University Church (UKirk) Advisory Board Member. (August, 2017 - Present).
- Faculty Member for Chrysalis Institute. (August, 2016 - Present).
Lead mindfulness trainings and research initiatives (local Richmond non-profit).
- HEROES For Students. (August 1, 2015 - Present).
Co-Founder and Executive Committee Board Member.