Area: Management and Entrepreneurship
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B4153
- Employee Well Being
- Leadership, Organizational Behavior, Negotiations
- Leadership, Mindfulness, Affect and Emotions, Well-being, Research Methods and Statistics
Christopher S. Reina is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Management and Entrepreneurship at Virginia Commonwealth University. His research focuses on the intersection of leadership, mindfulness, and emotions in the workplace and how they aid employees and organizations in successfully adapting to change in order to facilitate employee engagement and organization performance and well-being.
Christopher is especially interested in understanding the impact of leadership on followers and how this translates to customer/patient outcomes. Christopher received his Ph.D. in Business Administration (Management) from the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University and has corporate experience in leadership training and development as well as sales and marketing in the healthcare industry.
He is the Founder of Leading Without Ego, LLC where he is a consultant, trainer, coach, and researcher specializing in leadership and mindfulness.
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society. (2017 - Present).
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. (2012 - Present).
- Academy of Management. (2011 - Present).
- Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society. (2007 - Present).
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Research Award, VCU School of Business. (March, 2020).
- Distinguished Teacher Award, VCU School of Business. (February, 2019).
- LEADERSHIP, 1 course.
- Leading People and Organizations, 1 course.
- ORG LEADERSHP & PROJ TEAM MGMT, 1 course.
- ORGANIZING SYSTEMS, 1 course.
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Gupta, A., Reina, C. S. (in press). Leading through Crisis: The Role of Mindfulness. In Leadership after COVID-19: Working Together Toward a Sustainable Future.
- Reina, C. S. (2020). A multidimensional conceptualization of mindfulness at work: Development and initial validation of the work mindfulness scale. In Routledge Companion to Mindfulness at Work.
- Reina, C. S. (2017). Mindfulness: A Tool for Thoughtful Politics. In Fitzduff M. (Ed.), Why Irrational Politics Appeals. Praeger.
- Reina, C. S., Peterson, S. J., Waldman, D. A. (2016). Neuroscience as a Basis for Understanding Emotions and Affect in Organizations. In Organizational Neuroscience (1 ed., pp.213-232). Bingley, BD16 1W: Emerald Group.
- Peterson, S. J., Reina, C. S., Waldman, D. A., Becker, W. J. (2015). Using Physiological Methods to Study Emotions in Organizations. In Research on Emotion in Organizations: New Ways of Studying Emotions in Organizations (vol. 11, pp.3-27). Bingley, BD16 1W: Emerald Group.
- McKay, A., Mohan, M., Reina, C. S. (in press). Another day, another chance: Daily workplace experiences and their impact on creativity. Journal of Product Innovation Management.
- Dust, S., Liu, H., Wang, S., Reina, C. S. (in press). The Effect of Mindfulness and Job Demands on Motivation and Performance Trajectories Across the Workweek: An Entrainment Theory Perspective. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Kudesia, R., Pandey, A., Reina, C. S. (2020). Doing more with less: Interactive effects of cognitive resources and mindfulness training in coping with mental fatigue from multitasking . Journal of Management.
- Gottfredson, R., Reina, C. S. (2020). Uncovering an overlooked element of leadership development: The foundational role of mindsets. Business Horizons.
- Gottfredson, R., Reina, C. S. (2020). To Be a Great Leader, You Need the Right Mindset. Harvard Business Review.
- Rosen, C., Dimotakis, N., Cole, M., Taylor, S., Simon, L., Smith, T., Reina, C. S. (2020). When challenges hinder: An investigation of when and how challenge stressors impact performance outcomes. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Reina, C. S., Kudesia, R. (2020). Wherever You Go, There You Become: How Mindfulness Arises in Everyday Situations. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Gottfredson, R., Reina, C. S. (2020). Exploring why leaders do what they do: An integrative review of the situation-trait approach and situation-encoding schemas. The Leadership Quarterly.
- Gellock, J. L., Ekolm, E., Greenhalgh, G. P., LeCrom, C. W., Reina, C. S., Kudesia, R. (2019). Player’s perceptions of teammate leadership: Examining athlete leadership behaviors, attributes, and interactions . (2 ed., vol. 1). Journal of Athlete Development and Experience .
- Kudesia, R., Reina, C. S. (2019). Does interacting with trusted others increase mindfulness? An experience sampling study of everyday social interactions. PLOS ONE.
- Bartels, A., Peterson, S., Reina, C. S. (2019). Understanding Well-Being at Work: Development and Validation of the Eudaimonic Workplace Well-Being Scale. PLOS ONE.
- Saitgalina, M., Bennett, A., Reina, C. S., Coombs, J. E. (2018). Serving Others at the Expense of Self: The Relationship Between Relative CEO Compensation and Nonprofit Performance. (vol. 4, pp.156-180). Journal of Public and Nonprofit Affairs.
- Cosans, C., Reina, C. S. (2017). The Leadership Ethics of Machiavelli’s Prince. Business Ethics Quarterly. DOI: doi.org/10.1017/beq.2017.13
- Reina, C. S., Rogers, K., Peterson, S. J., Byron, K., Hom, P. (2017). Quitting the Boss? The Role of Manager Influence Tactics and Employee Emotional Engagement in Voluntary Turnover. (1 ed., vol. 25, pp.5-18). Journal of Leadership and Organization Studies. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1548051817709007
- Reina, C. S., Peterson, S. J., Zhang, Z. (2017). Adverse Effects of CEO Family-to-Work Conflict on Firm Performance. (2 ed., vol. 28, pp.228-243). Organization Science. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2017.1114
- Reina, C. S., Zhang, Z., Peterson, S. J. (2014). CEO grandiose narcissism and firm performance: The role of organizational identification. (5 ed., vol. 25, pp.958-971). The Leadership Quarterly. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2014.06.004
- Riggio, R. E., Zhu, W. W., Reina, C. S., Maroosis, J. A. (2010). Virtue-based measurement of ethical leadership: The Leadership Virtues Questionnaire. . (4 ed., vol. 62, pp.235). Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0022286
- Reina, C. S. (Panelist), Fritz, C. (Panelist), Glomb, T. (Panelist), Randall, J. (Coordinator/Organizer), Zajac, S. (Coordinator/Organizer), Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Mindfulness at Work: Challenges and Opportunities Chicago, IL. (April, 2018).
- Reina, C. S., International Association of Management, Spirituality, and Religion Annual Conference, Meditation and Mindfulness in Teaching Leadership Fayeville, AR. (2017).
- Ahvlik, C. (Author), Lyddy, C. (Author), Reina, C. S. (Author), Mindfulness Training to Enhance Leaders’ Interpersonal Relationships: A Randomized Field Study. , Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA. (2017).
- Mills, M., Reina, C. S., Academy of Management, New Perspectives on the Intersection of Employee Affect and Social Interactions. Atlanta, GA. (2017).
- Reina, C. S., International Association of Management, Spirituality, and Religion Annual Conference , Using Mindfulness and Meditation to Open Minds and Hearts: An Experiential Personal Development Workshop Fayetville, AR. (2017).
- Reina, C. S. (Author), Keener, S. (Author & Presenter), Bartels, A. (Author), Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2016, Understanding the Relationship Between Leader Mindfulness and Effectiveness: The Dual Roles of Self and Other Awareness Anaheim, CA. (August, 2016).
- Coombs, J. E. (Author & Presenter), Davis, B. C. (Author & Presenter), Reina, C. S. (Author), Webb, J. W. (Author), Christopher, P. G. (Author), Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, The mindful funder: The role of mindfulness, empathy, and perception in predicting crowdfunding, Babson College, Bodo, Norway. (June, 2016).
- Reina, C. S. (Author & Presenter), Peterson, S. J. (Author), Kinicki, A. (Author), Zhang, Z. (Author), Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2015, Adapting Leader Behaviors to Achieve Follower Effectiveness: A Mindful Approach to Situational Leadership Vancouver, Canada. (August 11, 2015).
- NBC29.VCU Study Shows Management Style Impact on Workers. http://www.nbc29.com/story/35593313/vcu-study-shows-management-style-impact-on-workers. (June, 2017).
- With Good Reason NPR Interview.Mindful Managers. http://www.withgoodreasonradio.org/episode/the-golden-age-of-flattery/?t=00:12:47. (March, 2018).
- The Commonwealth Times.https://commonwealthtimes.org/2021/02/10/five-ways-to-achieve-mindfulness-from-vcu-and-university-of-richmond-experts. (February, 2021).
- VCU News.How to Survive the Open Office https://www.news.vcu.edu/article/How_to_survive_the_open_office. (October 8, 2018).
Community Engagement - Service
- Board Member, Virginia Repertory Theater. (2019 - Present).
- Presbyterian University Church (UKirk) Advisory Board Member. (August, 2017 - Present).
- Faculty Advisor and Mindfulness Teacher for The Inner Work Center (formally Chrysalis). (August, 2016 - Present).
Lead mindfulness trainings and research initiatives (local Richmond non-profit).
- HEROES For Students. (August 1, 2015 - Present).
Co-Founder and Executive Committee Board Member.
- Massey Alliance Board Member. (August, 2017 - 2019).