Professor and CoStar Group Endowed Chair in RE Analytics
Area: Kornblau Real Estate Program
Area: Finance, Insurance and Real Estate
- Snead Hall
- 301 W. Main Street
- Box 844000
- Richmond, VA, 23284-4000
- Office: B4105
- Commercial Real Estate
- Economic Development
- Housing and Mortgages
- Undergraduate, Graduate and Ph.D. Real Estate and Economic Development and Real Estate Analysis
- Connecting the economy and public policy to real estate markets - equity issues in homeownership, quantitative modeling of markets
Dr. Smith (Brent) is the Kornblau Scholar in the Department of Finance Insurance and Real Estate in the School of Business at Virginia Commonwealth University. He holds a Master in Business from the University of Notre Dame and holds a Ph.D. in Finance and Economic Geography from Indiana University. His research interests include commercial property markets, mortgage performance, housing finance, and community/enterprise development. Brent serves on the editorial board for Real Estate Economics, the Appraisal Journal, the Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education, the Journal of Housing Research and the Journal of Real Estate Literature, and regularly reviews articles for numerous journals in the fields of real estate finance and urban economics. Brent was a recipient of the Outstanding Reviewer Award in 2009 and 2012 for Real Estate Economics, and received the Emerging Scholar’s Award in 2010 from the American Real Estate Society. In addition, he is a post-doctoral honoree at the Weimer School of Advanced Studies in Real Estate and Land Economics, Florida, USA. His research articles have received numerous grants and acknowledgements include two best paper awards from the American Real Estate Society. Brent was inducted as one of only 3 academic members into the Real Estate Councilors’ Group of America. Brent’s recent research is directed at issues of risk and valuation. Within those themes the areas of study include commercial property markets, mortgage performance, investment finance, and public policy and tax influences. Articles produced from this activity are published or scheduled for publication in the Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Real Estate Economics, the Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Financial Management, the Journal of Real Estate Research, Urban Affairs Review, the Journal of Property Tax Assessment and Administration, the Journal of Housing Economics, the Journal of Housing Research, Atlantic Economic Journal and Economic Quarterly.
Awards and Honors
- American Real Estate Society. (July 10, 2017).
- American Real Estate Society. (July 10, 2014).
Published Intellectual Contributions
- Smith, B. C. (in press). Early Termination of Small Loans. Real Estate Economics.
- Smith, B. C. (in press). Returns to Ocean Bordering Properties. Journal of housing research.
- Smith, B. C. (in press). Unintended Consequences of Risk Based Pricing. Journal of financial services research.
- Smith, B. C., Archer, W. (2013). Residential Mortgage Default: The Role of House Price Volatility, Euphoria and the Borrower's Put Option. (vol. 46, pp.355-378). Real Estate Economics.
- Smith, B. C. (2011). Mortgage Reform and the Countercyclical Role of the Federal Housing Administration's Mortgage Mutual Insurance Fund. (vol. 90, pp.95-110). Economic Quarterly.